Log Cabin KAL

"Give me land, lots of land - covered in garter stitch." -Kay Gardiner and Ann Shayne

Friday, May 26, 2006

swatches

Time to show some swatches ! I have a bad experience with a sweater in Rowan cotton glace - it stretched out so horrible ! Now I have a dress instead of a sweater. This sweater was knitted on 3,5mm in reverse stockinette. Some of the yarn I use here are leftovers from that sweater !

Anyhow, I decided that a firm gauge for a blanket was essential. This is my swatch on 3mm :


Still thought the gauge was too loose, and tried it on 2,5 mm. I had to go out to buy new needles, the only 2,5mm I had were bent, and very old. I don't usually knit on 2,5mm ! (except socks, but I have small dpns for that purpose). So this is my first square, knitted on 2,5mm :


I'll show a bit more of my progress tomorrow.

3 Comments:

Blogger Monika said...

You brave woman. Knitting a blanket on 2.5mm needles!!! How big are you planing on making your blanket?

5:57 AM  
Blogger Abigale said...

Hi Dominique - my blanket is done on 3mm needles - and I'm really questioning my sanity!

I'm one log short of 10 finished squares right now. (definitely feel one log short of something! LOL) I reckon that I've been working on this for 5 weeks - and I'm looking at getting 36 squares total done... Of course I do have a full time job, a boyfriend that I don't live with and a 16 year old son at home to deal with as well - but it's slow going.

Maybe you might want to consider using the yarn doubled? Probably be able to get up to a bigger needle size... It would go quicker, but end up using more yarn - and I know that you are determined to do this from stash yarn.

9:22 AM  
Blogger dominiqueknitting said...

Hi Abby,

I really want the blanket to be usable as a blanket - so too heavy would be bad. I reckon this will be a 2 year project, but that's OK.

2:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home