Log Cabin KAL

"Give me land, lots of land - covered in garter stitch." -Kay Gardiner and Ann Shayne

Thursday, May 25, 2006

joining







hello,

My name is Dominique, I live in Belgium, and I started a log cabin blanket (sounds like an intro to anonymous something ...). I am not good at English, not good at photograpy, new at blogging ....but I do like to knit, and share, and hope to find a forum to do so here.

Probably some of you are on the knitlist also, so if I repeat myself I do apologize. The best thing about blogging is that you can share pictures, so I intend to do that here. I don't have my own blog (yet).

I made a firm resolution to knit from stash, and I don't have enough cotton in different colors to knit this kind of blanket. Surfing around I found another nice blanket, by Mari in Portugal http://www.pura-lana.blogspot.com/ (scroll down a bit to see the blanket).

In my stash I found Rowan cotton glace leftovers, and Anny Blatt 'Louxor' and 'Assouan' (both Egyptian mercerized cottons) in shades of pumpkin, browns (chocolate, mocha, taupe), burgundy and brick red, rust, sunflower, a bit of pink, olive and fuchsia. It works together, but I don't have enough. I also found 12 balls of Schachenmayr Nomotta Blue Jeans. This is a denim yarn that fades and shrinks like the Rowan Denim. I have used 3 balls to knit a baby sweater. I remember it being softer to work with then the Rowan Denim, and gets even softer after washing. The shrinking is less also. I think this pale blue denim color would work well with my other colors.

Because of the special nature of the denim yarn (it shrinks), I asked the knitlist what to do, and most people advised against using it together with the other cottons. So that plan is out. I'll have to think about what to do next, but for the time being I have enough cotton to keep me knitting for some time. Just not enough to finish a blanket.

I tried to get the lay-out right, but don't seem to be able to put the pictures where I want them (in the text). I tried 10 times, so I'll leave it like this. Maybe somebody can help me with this ?
In my next post I can show you some of my progress.

Dominique

3 Comments:

Blogger Monika said...

Practice makes perfect! You'll get the hang of the blogging thing. Maybe you couldl make a Log Cabin pillow or baby blanket with the yarn you have. It needs less yarn, is done faster and you might be able to use the yarn you picked out from your stash?! Can't wait to see what you've come up with.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Abigale said...

Hi Dominique,

Welcome! When I'm posting pictures, usually I click the picture that I want to move. Then I hit Ctrl X - scroll down in the text to where I want the picture to end up and hit Ctrl V. Clear as mud? Hope not! It gets easier - this blogging thing does take a bit of getting used to.

I'm wondering what would happen with the denim yarn if you just washed the blanket on cold, and lay the blanket flat to dry... The shrinking happens when you wash on hot or warm water and throw the whole shebang into the dryer... I have a feeling that it might just stretch if you do it that way. But then again, all cotton stretches to some extent. I wish I had a better answer for you!

Have fun!

Abi

9:23 AM  
Blogger dominiqueknitting said...

thanks for the photo posting tips - I'll get the hang of it. I now have a new plan for the denim yarn - maybe I could knit solid colored squares, a bit bigger, wash and shrink those and use it in the blanket ? I'll have to experiment - not all my squares are the same !

2:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home