Log Cabin KAL

"Give me land, lots of land - covered in garter stitch." -Kay Gardiner and Ann Shayne

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Off Center Log Cabin


Hey everyone, I'm Abi - I live in Northern California - I knit, I spin and I do some dyeing.

I got the Mason Dixon knitting book a couple of weeks ago and immediately was inspired to cast on for an Off-Center variation of the Log Cabin. I have tons of DK weight cotton in my monstrosity of a stash, and thought that I could get a fair bit done with what I had on hand. Plus I'd been drifting around in the knitting doldrums for a week or so before the book came. I needed a project to sink my teeth into - and by golly I sure got one! This is planned to be a bedspread for my queen sized bed. I'm about 19% done as of the wee hours of last night. 7/36ths done! Whoo hoo - it's taken me a couple of weeks to get this far - and I've been working fairly steadily on it. It's really not a good project for take-along knitting, but I did take it for a road trip that we did last weekend and made some progress.

I ended up starting out with smaller needles than were probably necessary - I swear I thought they were somewhere around a 3.75 mm (US 5) but I couldn't find my needle gauge, and of course after I figured out that I was actually doing a Queen sized blanket on size 3mm (US 3's) I'd already put a lot of work into this puppy. But I do like the fabric!

I put my current spindle in the shot up there on the top right hand corner so you can get some idea of scale. It's silk that I'm spinning on my walks at lunch time.

I'm really having a lot of fun with this - and I'm loving seeing everyone elses projects! Keep up the good work - I'll post again when I get to 9 squares and show you some other layout possibilities with multiple log cabin squares. Of course I have to say that I'm very envious of all you out there working on one big cabin - no sewing together at the end! I'm not looking forward to that part.

Have fun!

Abigale

2 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

Beautiful! I can't wait to get started on my squares...you're blanket is such an inspiration!

2:23 PM  
Blogger Monica said...

Your blanket is lovely! I haven't even started yet :)... there is something to be said for sewing together many small squares instead of one big square. It defintely gives it a very cool look!

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home